Animal Health & Safety

The Most Dangerous Foods for Dogs

Boarding Facility Owners or Operators

As boarding facility owners or operators, we need to be aware of what foods may be a danger to dogs. This is especially true when it is a common food, something we take for granted, but may be one of the many toxic foods for dogs. We should make sure that break areas or other areas that store food for our employees are not accessible to the dogs we are caring for.

Dangerous Foods

You may not recognize the name, but chances are good that you regularly eat this sweetener. It’s found in candy, gum, and even in toothpaste. Given to a dog, it can affect blood sugar and cause liver failure.
AvocadoAvacados are dangerous for dogs.
You might be wondering how a natural vegetable can be listed as one of the most dangerous foods for dogs. This has more to do with persin, a substance found in the avocado. Persin often causes vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. Additionally, it isn’t uncommon for dogs to swallow the avocado seed, which can become lodged in the intestines or in the stomach. This type of obstruction can be fatal.
Although it is unlikely we will be storing alcoholic beverages at our business, any substance containing alcohol is dangerous to dogs. Just a small sampling of alcohol can have fatal effects on dogs. Canine’s can’t process alcohol as well as humans and just a little sip can lead to diarrhea, vomiting, loss of coordination, and coma. For smaller dogs, death can result.
Here is another substance we imbibe regularly, but can be counted as one of many toxic foods for dogs. In fact, caffeine can be fatal to dogs and it doesn’t matter how it’s delivered. Coffee, tea, sodas, and energy drinks should all be kept away from pets.
Grapes and Raisins
Many foods, including grapes and raisins, can cause kidney failure. Frequent vomiting is an early indication that there’s a problem, followed by lethargy and depression.
ChocolateChocolate is dangerous for dogs.
No list of dangerous foods for dogs is complete without mentioning chocolate and it’s dangerous in every form from dark chocolate to white chocolate. The theobromine found in chocolates cause digestive problems that produce obvious symptoms, such as vomiting and diarrhea. It can also produce tremors and seizures, heart failure, and can be fatal.
These are just a few of the foods we eat regularly, but can be fatal to our four-legged friends. If in doubt, always ask your veterinarian for advice. Keeping employee food safely stored will prevent issues in the future.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!